Thursday, November 8, 2007

Santa Clause Movies Are Coming to Town

I was talking to my friend yesterday about Beowolf, the new animated movie from director Robert Zemekis. He told me that he was amazed by the detail and that the first time he saw a preview for it he didn’t know that it was all CGI. I told him that it was tracking really high for holiday movies and that there was a lot of buzz surround it because it’s an animated movie for adults. After explaining what tracking meant, he asked me what other holiday movies were coming out that were also tracking high. But I had no idea. I thought about it for awhile, and decided that this holiday season wasn’t offering up the usual blockbuster-type movies that we’re all used to: LotR, Harry Potter, Chronicles of Narnia, etc. So, I decided to find out for myself, which movies I might be interested in seeing between Halloween and New Year’s. I know that I’ve already discussed last week’s two entries, as well as a bunch of Oscar downer movies, so this post is looking at the rest. However, some of them interest me; some of them don’t.

Nov. 9

Fred Clause – The first installment of The Santa Clause was somewhat amusing. I think I even liked it, but most Santa-based movies seem pretty awful to my taste. When I watch them I feel like I’m helping to promote the worst commercial aspect of Christmas or something. Anyway, the trailers for this one seem about the same as any of those Tim Allen movies, which will probably steer me away. Of course, if Will Ferrell (Elf) were in it I might think differently.

Nov. 16

Beowulf – This is from the same team who brought us The Polar Express, which had computer-generated images that kind of scared me a little. It was like watching talking, singing, and moving porcelain dolls…creepy. However, apparently, Zemekis, has learned a thing or two since then and based on my friends ‘wow’ reaction this could be a box-office winner.

Mr. Magorium’s Wonder Emporium – This movie looks kind of like a Charlie and the Chocolate Factory rip-off. However, I will readily admit that I could be persuaded to see it since Natalie Portman stars.

Nov. 21

August Rush – This one looks kind of interesting. I like that Freddie Highmore (Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Finding Neverland). Also, Keri Russell is cute. The last time I liked Robin Williams in a movie, however, was Good Will Hunting—10 years ago!

Chistmas in Wonderland – Remember when Patrick Swayze was kind of cool? Yeah, me neither.

Nov. 30

The Diving Bell and the Butterfly – This one is getting plenty of Oscar buzz and is very surreal.

Dec. 5

Juno – This movie is being promoted as a dramedy. The subject matter is somewhat unfortunate, but it’s got a great cast that includes Michael Cera and Jason Bateman – both from Arrested Development.

Dec. 7

The Golden Compass

– This is one of the few holiday blockbusters of the season I think. It looks like a Harry Potter wannabe and comes from the same studio as LotR, so I think they’re going for that whole fantasy crowd. I’m not totally excited to see it, but I know I probably will. Plus James Bond is in it.

Dec. 14

Alvin and the Chipmunks – This one kind of reminds me of those Garfield movies a few years ago. I really liked Garfield and Alvin and the Chipmunks as a kid, but the preview looks pretty lame. However, Jason Lee (My Name is Earl) and David Cross (Arrested Development) are it, so there’s hope.

I Am Legend – Ok, the first time I saw the preview for this movie I was like, “Wait, Will Smith in a sci-fi movie fighting aliens or robots…what a novel idea” (see I, Robot, Independence Day, Men in Black I & II, etc.). But I saw a more recent trailer of the apocalyptic tale and it came across as more of a social-commentary-science-fiction-venture akin to the first Planet of the Apes or something and I’ve been pretty intrigued since.


The Kite Runner – This is one of the few movie trailers that I’ve seen this year that has left me with some sort of awe or wonderment.

Dec. 21

National Treasure: Book of Secrets

– The first installment of this franchise was kind of like the poor man’s version of The Da Vinci Code.
I’ll admit that I kind of liked it in an Indiana Jones-escapist-fare kind of way. The second one’s premise looks to be just as ridiculous as the first’s; the only difference is that Nic Cage doesn’t have side burns now.

Flakes – Zooey Deschanel (Elf, Bridge to Terebithia) is in this one.

Dec. 25

Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem –Ah, the ultimate yuletide cheer.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

1) what does tracking mean?

2)Have you heard anything about The Golden Compass and its anti-Christian themes? Supposedly the book was written as part of a trilogy by a renowned atheist / anti-Christian in England. The Golden Compass is meant to be the more "watered-down" installment, meant to attract young readers to his other, more overtly-anti-Christian books. There is a large call among Christians to boycott this movie. Just curious as to what you have heard about it.

3) Natalie Portman is cute. That is, if you're in to 12 year old boys.

Anonymous said...

I saw Bee movie yesterday and was pretty impressed, but not enough to buy it or anything. I'm really excited for Mr. Magoriums' Wonder Emporium-anything with Natalie! I also would really like to see Kite Runner-it was originally a book-a Starbucks choice book-so you know it's gotta be touching. I'm not quite sure how I feel about National Treasure 2 though-I might just see it to see that computer nerd guy-he's great. I also hear that Beowulf is getting great reviews, plus I get extra credit for English if I see it! I think a good Thanksgiving see will be Enchanted tho...

JedBoy said...

casey- 1) I've addressed you first question in a later post (see 'What does tracking mean?')
2) As far as The Golden Compass is concerned, I haven't read any more than you have on the subject. But I did watch Beowulf last night and it was surprisingly anti-Christian as well. The signs of the times?
3) Natalie Portman is the cutest 12 year-old boy I've ever seen!

bird - I hate to admit this, but 'Enchanted' might be the movie I'm most excited to see this holiday season. I've been a fan of Amy Adams ever since 'Catch Me If You Can.' I also liked her as Jim's first girlfriend in 'The Office.'

currently listening 2...


currently listening to...


jazz it up!