Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Battlestar Republicana

I'm prone to exposing my geekiness on this little ol' blog of mine from time to time and I'm sure that revealing my love for the geekiest of all sci-fi shows won't help my coolness factor, but here goes: Battlestar Galactica is amazing!! I know you are disgusted and wondering how any sane and normal person could love such a moronic, fanboy series. But I do--even to the chagrin of my wife, who tends to humiliate me whenever possible on this point. Oh and yes, that's the first time I've referred to my wife on this blog, because I was recently married! But most people who read this already know that.

Anyway, I like to think of myself as a critical thinker who doesn't waste his time with the majority of the popular dreck that passes for entertainment nowadays. For this reason, I've had to come up with a justification for addicting myself to this sci-fi, action, melodrama. I guess that by defining it as I did might explain my love for it.

Don't get me wrong, it is science fiction, which crosses the border into Dwight nerdom. But I've always been a fan of sci-fi since I was little. I remember watching Star Trek with my dad at a young age and wondering if man would boldly go to other planets. BSG is different from Star Trek in its approach, however, because it is a serialized drama, much like Lost. In other words, each episode connects to the previous and subsequent episode. I like to look at it like watching different chapters from a very riveting TV book or something.

It's action-packed. Sure, I'm a guy. I like those action sequences. The action is set in space, but unlike Star Trek, which takes everything on a future based on logic and almost gentlemen-like warfare. BSG takes the Star Wars approach (old ones), which is very messy and entertaining battle sequences that are found in almost every episode. Oh, yes they're always at war with robotic humans (Cylons)...come on that's cool!

It is melodramtic. I know this isn't the typical facet that most guys might like, but every episode hinges on personal relationships, deep character layering, religious symbols, current political bravado, and an intense cerebral mystery. My heart pumps a little when I watch it as it always keeps me guessing.


John McCain - Col. Tigh & Sarah Palin - Pres. Laura Roslin

Now, that you know why I love this little cable TV show I had to mention something else about it that I found funny. The recent revelation that Sarah Palin will be John McCain's running-mate has prompted people to notice an odd similarity with the would-be president and his vice with that of some major characters on BSG that I thought was pretty uncanny. Check it out.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm so glad you posted this! Be proud - it really is good. Its like the Harry Potter bandwagon that in my skepticism I hesitated jumping on, but when I did I excitedly discovered the buzz surrounding it wasn’t unfounded after all. Admit it though; your favorite part about it is the raciness. It’s a lot sexier than I remember Star Trek being! Also, the similarities you discovered in those photographs are certainly unsettling . . . Cylon replicas from the future? That may have just cinched my vote.

Kristian said...

Do I rerecall giving you the miniseries when you came to see me in LA? Remember I told you BSG is an amazing drama? I'm so glad to see this post Jed. Keep it frakkin real dude!

sent from my iPhone

currently listening 2...


currently listening to...


jazz it up!