Thursday, December 13, 2007

Beards: They Grow On You



Are you tired of hearing about the writers’ strike? Or are you just mad that everyone is so selfish and can’t resolve their differences? It makes me so mad that I want to do something about it! So, in honor of those striking I’ve decided to grow a beard just like Conan O’Brien. Sure, it doesn’t really make sense, it’s more because I’m lazy and don’t go to BYU anymore and, well, maybe a certain someone likes how it feels; but it’s on my face and I’m posting a picture of it. So there. I hope you enjoy it, and I hope you enjoy not watching your favorite shows on TV. It’s actually quite liberating. Go out and see the world (Discovery Channel), learn something new (History Channel), follow current events (C-Span), or catch up with an old friend (reruns?). Either way you’re not watching TV, er, TV that you normally watch. Or you can just grow a beard or not shave your legs. Something that demonstrates your frustration with the whole system through some lack of personal hygiene is all that’s really required and appreciated by writers who have no one to write for.

Here's some updates on some of my favorite shows:

24 - None this season! Moving the premier of "Day 7" that was originally going to air January 08. Now could be pushed to next season because they want to air all 24 episodes without a break. via

30 Rock - 1 episodes remaining (eff 12/14)

Big Bang Theory - 0 episodes remaining. Just over half of those originally planned.

Chuck - 1 episode remains (eff 12/13) The final episode will air in 2008

Lost - All eight episodes remaining and planned for February 08. Only half of the originally planned episodes

My Name is Earl - 0 episodes remain(eff 12/14).

The Office - No episodes remain. Production has completely stopped via

Pushing Daisies - 0 episodes remaining (eff 12/13)

Scrubs - 5 episodes remaining (eff 12/10)

Talk/Comedy Shows:

Late Night Shows including Letterman, Leno, Saturday Night Live, The Daily Show, Colbert Report, Craig Ferguson, Conan O'Brien, Jimmy Kimmel, Real Time with Bill Baher & Carson Daly are all in reruns already. via

The View is continuing on as normal. (phew!!)

UPDATE: THE WEEK OF 12/3, CARSON DALY RESUMED TAPING HIS LATE-NIGHT SHOW ON NBC WITHOUT THE WRITERS. via

8 comments:

Tyler Briggs said...

Now i really know why you grew your beard. It's a strike beard. The question is, what are you striking about? Are you striking against the writers strike? Perhaps it's a statement against electric shavers? Or could it be a strike against those without hair? It's time to stand up to those people who think being hairless is ok...like Andy.

ASmith said...

I haven't really noticed the WGA strike, except for the nightly "Wo is us" update on national news or Entertainment Tonight.

My programs of choice are still alive and well. Sports aplenty fill my station, with the Jazz and NFL in full swing, and I fully expect college football to rule the airwaves during the Christmas to New Year's stretch.

Bear Grylls is in the midst of even wackier adventures. Plus, Discovery has added another awesome show called Last One Standing.

I think that this whole writer's strike thing will pretty much pass us by, as there are plenty of other forms of entertainment.

sacdaddy said...

I differ from the above "asmith" comment. I have noticed a HUGE difference. Isn't it obvious, even with the above mentioned Jazz games on TV.

They certainly haven't been up to par with prior episodes as of late.

In fact, the last five shows have been TERRIBLE!

Bring the writers back! Write in some defense!

JedBoy said...

Errr, the last six episodes...

Anonymous said...

Does this mean I should I be posting a picture of my mountain man legs?

Wendi said...

Well, if the one thing the writers' strike does is promote beards, then all is not lost. I dig the beard. The world needs more scruff.

The lack of sitcom selection has led me to branch out. No distractions from my Congressional study courses (except for the sappy ABC Family made-for-TV Christmas movies, I got sucked in, not once, but twice) and last week while at the gym I discovered the Discovery Channel's "Survivorman." That was the quickest five mile run ever.

So maybe the Writer's Strike will be good for America's well-being. Less TV, more heart-healthy activity and intellectual stimuli, and lets not forget the increase in facial hair! Then again, maybe it will just promote more reality TV. Oh dear.

JedBoy said...

tybug - I agree. Hairy = S.E.X.Y

asmith - True. It might not be affecting your TV watching right now, but eventually it could affect your movie watching. Just think: Maybe there won't be a '300' sequel??!! Spartans, strike!!!

sacdaddy - ooh, they must have got some new writers. It's about time. Larry H. has hard time with change I've noticed.

bird - yes. i'd like to see some mountain man legs on you.

wendi - While the lack of writing TV shows may help Americans to get out of their lay-z-boys, I think that more realistically the blowback might result in a increase in reality TV. To me, reality TV is nothing more than the dumbing down of human intelligence. Of course, a reality TV show with facial hair competitions might be worth it.

P.S. Man v. Wild is a lot better than Survivorman!!

ASmith said...

If there isn't another movie along 300 style awesomeness, then I will personally drive to Hollywood and serve as mediator.

Survivorman = Boring
Man vs. Wild = Unsurpassed Television Awesomeness

I tried to grow a beard, but my wife's face rebelled against me.

currently listening 2...


currently listening to...


jazz it up!