Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Peter Jackson or There and Back Again



So, my Lord of the Rings geekiness was confirmed yesterday…yet again. I was talking to this guy about how The Hobbit was going to be made by Peter Jackson in the next couple of years. He asked me if Elijah Wood was going to be in it. “Oh, no” I said, “he played Frodo; it was Biblo who was in the first book.” I guess that that’s not totally geeky, but I was surprised at how quickly and with such passion that I responded to his question. You see, I’ve been a huge fan of LotR since I first read the books back in third grade. I’ve read the books several times now, and even watching this fake Hobbit trailer gives me the chills. Aren’t you guys excited!!

So, who do you think should direct?? (Peter Jackson probably won’t direct, but serve as an executive producer.) I’ve offered some suggestions here - ew.com has said that there’s currently three directors under consideration, all of which seem pretty apt for the job: Sam Raimi (Spider-man), Guillermo del Toro (Hellboy, Pan’s Labyrinth), and Alfonso Cuaròn (HP: Prison of Azkaban, Children of Men). Personally, I think Cuaròn would make the best director for this type of franchise.

Also, they’re going to shoot two films simultaneously. This is interesting since The Hobbit or There and Back Again is only one book. The first movie would capture all the events that occur in the first tome. The next would link the conclusion of Tolkien’s prequel with The Fellowship of the Ring. I’m not sure what that would entail, but there’s actually an entire history out there of happenings outside of Tolkien’s original four books. I’ll have to mine my The Book of Lost Tales 1 that I bought in junior high but never got around to reading.


Bibliography

[edit] Fiction and poetry

See also: Poems by J. R. R. Tolkien.


Posthumous publications

See Tolkien research for essays and text fragments by Tolkien published posthumously in academic publications and forums.

3 comments:

Tyler Briggs said...

That's pretty sweet. Is that a real teaser trailer? Cause, they haven't even started shooting yet have they?

JedBoy said...

tybug - really bug? you couldn't tell that was fake? no, they haven't even started to write it yet. peter jackson just signed on to be exec producer. they shooting for a 2010 release.

TyandMar said...

No - that's what I mean. It looked fake...that's why I asked. Just making sure.

currently listening 2...


currently listening to...


jazz it up!