Friday, February 22, 2008

Newsies!

Lacking the high hipness standards that I know Jedboy requires, I have been reluctant to post lately, as my own hipness lies dormant as the northern hemisphere tilts away from mother sun. But with all this Sundance business and Government Holiday Movie reviews, I thought we should discuss something more, shall we say, boring. The following breaks down my top choices for news:

Where I Go First

NPR: Great for so many factors: through while succinct, broad topic range, doesn’t insult anyone’s intelligence level, and you can easily multitask while listening, i.e. drive, do the dishes, etc.

USAToday.com: How does one go from the “wine and cheese” of public radio to this corporate blandness? It’s like my mom always said: stay close to the peeps (she meant people). USA Today has arguably the largest circulation of printed news, closely behind The National Enquirer by my count, so it helps me know what I know everyone else knows. It’s fast, it’s slightly more detailed than straight AP Updates, and it’s reliable.

NYTimes.com: In previous years this would have been higher, but I have been disappointed in the Times recently. I don’t know exactly what it is; I guess I could compare it how Jed feels after dating a girl for more than a month.


When I Have Time or Want More

The Economist: Great analysis of international news. Kinda long; kinda expensive.

Local Political BLOGS: Working in politics, I have to keep up on the gossip and rantings of all the different tribes.

Jim Lehrer Show/BBC: I put these together because they are both public television.


What I Left Out

I realize that there are many other sources of news. I don’t have cable, so that eliminates the Daily Show (as if Maria would ever let me watch that), CNN, Fox News. Sometimes I watch local television news, but I hate the feeling of wanting to vomit. Then there’s the web: Google News, MSNBC.com, etc – they’re okay I guess.

Did I leave anything out? Local newspapers maybe? I am entirely mistaken? Where do you get your news?

1 comment:

JedBoy said...

I get most of my news from Google News as well. But I also get feeds from different sources in my google reader that automatically upload new stories all the time:

News
-BBC News
-Christian Science Monitor
-Deseret News
-Salt Lake Tribune
-NPR
-Slate Magazine
-Huffington Post
-Drudge Report

Entertainment
-JedBoy of course
-The Royal Journal ;)
-Pop Candy USA Today
-ew.com

Sports
-ESPN

currently listening 2...


currently listening to...


jazz it up!