Monday, February 25, 2008

Oscar Party!!!

Yesterday I watched the Oscars. It was okay. I really enjoy watching the Oscars, and I especially enjoyed watching them with the help of my DVR, but I guess I wasn’t totally into them. I think the reason is that I haven’t seen a lot of the Oscar films this year. I don’t know what it is—maybe it’s just the fact that all the main films dealt with serial killers, greed, and death.

However, I still get geeked out from all the Hollywood intrigue and so I partook of Hollywood’s own kudo-fest, even though most of America decided not to. This was the lowest-rated Oscar telecast in over thirty years or something, which isn’t necessarily surprising, since most of the major films haven’t been huge successes at the box-office. In fact, the Academy Awards are the most watched when there is a clear runaway winner, (Titanic, Lord of the Rings, etc.) and not when it’s the most suspenseful when winning is a crapshoot.

With that being said, I can’t help but congratulate myself for guessing the Best Picture winner, No Country for Old Men, in our small little Oscar party last night. In fact, I actually tied with Emma and got 11 categories right in our Oscar pool. That’s not bad really. We planned a big Oscar party, but a huge spring snowstorm put the kibosh on it, so we only had a few friends over—but it was still fun. We also had some Oscar-themed food. Check out the pictures.


A few observations:

  • Jon Stewart was generally funny, but it was evident that some of his jokes were thrown together rather quickly due to the writers’ strike.
  • Amy Adams performed one of her Enchanted songs w/o any backup singers, dancers, or an attempt at a costume. What was up with that? All the other songs had elaborate productions.
  • After watching Falling Slowly performed my dad and Emma both changed their prediction to this tune for Best Original Song. I, of course, had already decided that it was my favorite song, because I had seen it performed live at Sundance last year.



  • The Bourne Ultimatum won three academy awards. Not bad for an action flick, but we all know it should’ve won Best Picture right?
  • Foreigners took home all the top acting prizes. We outsource everything here in the US, even our acting apparently…

4 comments:

Kristian said...

Overall good Oscars, I'm sorry to hear that you have missed out on the greatness of what is "There will be Blood" and "No Country fo Old Men!" Those two are quite simply two of the best films I have seen in years...BY FAR!

I thought about doing a blog about the Oscars, but I felt it unnecessary because they were so predictable. Everyone out here in LALA Land knew "No Country" would walk away with Top Honors. By the way, nice touch on the Movie Themed food items...but my only question in Where is the "MILKSHAKE" for there will be blood!

Tyler Briggs said...

I watched some of the Oscars but I agree that it wasn't very exciting especially since I didn't have much interest in any of the films. I'm sure they're great, dramatic, depressing, want to kill yourself and never watch the movie again-but so moving films...just didn't have much interest in them.
Why can't feel good movies like Enchanted, Ratatuille be nominated for Best Picture? I'm kinda sick of these over-dramatic movies winning or being nominated all of the time.
I like Jon Stewart though. He surprised me.

JedBoy said...

kristian - yes, the oscars were fun. yeah, i'm tempted to watch those films, but i'm not really good with the blood. i can't even watch e.r. w/o getting queasy.

tybug - movies that are too cutesy or family-oriented aren't what is considered academy fodder. they like movies that are cutting-edge and that push the envelope. that's why. even though rotten tomatoes as higher ratings for 'enchanted' and ratatouille' than the other pictures...hmm

ASmith said...

I think the depressing but moving best film nominations is simply a trend. Remember that in the mid-1990's Tom Hanks was making stuff like Forrest Gump, Apollo 13, and Philadelphia. That was a trend of good feeling "little guys against big odds" movies.

Then we had the Russel Crowe era, which was briefly supplanted by Denzel and Return of the King.

In a year or two, we'll be through this current trend and in to the next.

I for one hope the newest trend involves traditional camera work, such as holding the camera still and using a tripod. I'm getting kind of tired of "shaky means gritty which equals realistic feeling" camera work. Trust me, Mr. Film Camera Operator. When I run down the street, I don't flail my head right and left. I look straigt ahead, and do it quite well, actually.

currently listening 2...


currently listening to...


jazz it up!