Wednesday, September 26, 2007

A Thousand Words







Sometimes it’s easier to express a situation through a snapshot, a quick glimpse of the profundity of any given moment in time, than it would be to write an entire treatise on the subject. Hence the phrase, “A picture is worth a thousand words.” Or Andrei Kirilenko might suggest a phrase from the Russian writer, Ivan Turgenev, who wrote "A picture shows me at a glance what it takes dozens of pages of a book to expound" (Fathers and Sons).

Thus I’ve decided that from now on I’m demanding a more visual form of communication from friends and family. If you want to text me that you’re hungry and want to eat; send me an image of you with an index finger pointed at your gaping mouth. If you’d like to send me an email about “a brief justification for the ontological necessity of modern man's existential dilemma;” send me a .jpg of Ethan Hawke—I’ll get it. Or if you’d like to send me the newest Twilight book for my birthday, simply snap photos of each page of the book, assemble the pictures in an easy-to-handle format, and then bind them together.

Here's some more photographs that convey meaning and would make great picture books.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Wait, doesn't the song go, 'If a picture paints a thousand words then why CAN'T I paint you?' Hmmmmm. Well, I would have to agree completely with Mr. Turgenev, that a picture can capture an unbelievable amount of meaning, and can typically inspire much swifter than words. That was a great link of pictures, by the way. I had seen most of those before, but I have to admit that seeing some of them again choked me up - a few of them are just heartbreaking. Made me think of the photo that inspired the Broadway musical Miss Saigon:
http://www.miss-saigonaustralia.com.au/Inspirations.aspx -You know it always comes back to musicals for me. :)

JedBoy said...

Hayley - You are the queen of random quotes. I had to look that lyric up and it happens to be from the song "If" by Bread. Right? (Fun fact: Seeing Bread in concert was my parents' first ever date!)

Those pictures really do leave a lump in my throat as well as the Miss Saigon-inspired photo. Thanks for the link, I'll have to check out the musical.

Unknown said...

That's the one! It has been redone a couple of times too. I love Rob and his great taste in/knowledge of classic rock! Also, with Kirst and I in the car on the way to Vegas, I am pretty sure you will get introduced to the music of Miss Saigon and probably other musicals. How excited are you? :)

currently listening 2...


currently listening to...


jazz it up!