Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Generation Ethan Hawke

Ethan Hawke’s new movie “The Hottest State,” (which he directed, produced, stars in, and adapted from the book he wrote) is opening this summer, but what I’m probably more excited about is the soundtrack, which includes Norah Jones, Cat Power, and Bright Eyes. And in the spirit of Ethan Hawkishness (the Generation X poster boy) I’ve posted my top five Ethan Hawke quotes (in chronological order):

Todd Anderson: [standing on his desk] Oh captain, my captain. – Dead Poets Society

Troy: There's no point to any of this. It's all just a... a random lottery of meaningless tragedy and a series of near escapes. So I take pleasure in the details. You know... a quarter-pounder with cheese, those are good, the sky about ten minutes before it starts to rain, the moment where your laughter becomes a cackle... and I sit back and I smoke my Camel Straights and I ride my own melt. – Reality Bites

Jesse: You know what's the worst thing about somebody breaking up with you? Is when you remember how little you thought about the people you broke up with and you realize that is how little they're thinking of you. You know, you'd like to think you're both in all this pain but they're just like 'Hey, I'm glad you're gone'. – Before Sunrise

Vincent: There's no gene for fate. - Gattaca

Jesse: I heard this story once about when the Germans were occupying Paris and they had to retreat back. They wired Notre Dame to blow, but they had to leave one guy in charge of hitting the switch. And the guy, the soldier, he couldn't do it. You know, he just sat there, knocked out by how beautiful the place was. And then when the allied troops came in, they found all the explosives just lying there and the switch unturned, and they found the same thing at Sacre Couer, Eiffel Tower. Couple other places I think...
Celine: Is that true?
Jesse: I don't know. I always liked the story, though. – Before Sunset


**If you have any more quotes, please share.

2 comments:

Wendi said...

"The kindest compliments I have ever heard are when cops tell me Training Day and Assault on Precinct 13 inspired them to become cops. The funniest compliments I have ever heard are when people tell me that 'I love your band Sugar Ray.'"

No movie, just pure Ethan Hawke.

JedBoy said...

That's funny! And they do look a lot alike come to think of it. Or they're the same person. Interesting...

currently listening 2...


currently listening to...


jazz it up!