Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Café Rio v. Chipotle

I was driving to the Café Rio in Fort Union to get my fix of marinated pork barbacoa the other day, but got a little lost. As I was driving around I noticed a construction sign that said a new Chipotle Mexican Grill was gonna open soon! I was delighted, but I could already hear the furious debate starting among all Utahns who seek delicious quasi-Mexican sustenance. Of course, I had heard the comparison before from those who have lived in other states outside of the Beehive, but with the sudden surge of Chipotles popping up in Mormonland now, I’m certain that the argument will reach a fever pitch. I foresee it turning into a civil war between these two Mexican-themed restaurants. Families divided. Friendships pushed to the brink. Tempers flared, resulting in questions such as: “What do you mean, you don’t have enchilada style!?” and “What part of tin-foil wrap do you not understand!?” However, there will be few among us, who, having lived in both areas, will have to quell the inevitable uproar and become the voice of reason. Because I have a dream that one day, when their lips are dripping with either the words of "enchilada style" or "burrito bol," that the Café Rioites will be able to join hands with the Chipotleistas as hermanos and realize that both Mexican eateries are delectable in their own right.

But until then, let the verbal lucha libre begin!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is this Jedd Briggs? This is Robbie AKA Lueck. If this is your page let me know, leave amessage at lueck-family.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Oh-ho-ho! Cafe' Rio ALL the WAY!!! I dunno what it is about that juicy sweet pork barbacoa...but HOLY COW...or should I say pig? I have to say that I am a bit bias-only because I have only eaten at Chipotle once. I was not impressed. But at Cafe' Rio I am continually awestruck. In my oppinion-Chipotle's no match!

currently listening 2...


currently listening to...


jazz it up!