Thursday, August 30, 2007

Is Dylan Still Pop?

Hello. My name is Duane. I have been called Dwight by those around with Freudian tongues. Let's begin.

First – check this out. Now, Bob Dylan has had an immeasurable effect on the pop/hip/jiving world around us. I would even suggest, using a phrase from my buddy JT: Bob Dylan, the singer and song writer of the 20th Century, has done more, save Chuck Berry only, for the pop of men in this world than any other man that ever lived in it.

However, the question is if he is still relevant – and not relevant in a still a musical genius sort of way, but in a – I’m cool cus’ I say I am not because 60-year olds love me, so FICA you – sort of way?

1 comment:

JedBoy said...

Duane, why am I not surprised that your first post would be about Bob Dylan? I just have to say that Bob Dylan isn't pop in today's musical landscape. Kids are listening to the Pussycat Dolls, Eminem, American Idol grads, et al. Brian Wilson (Beach Boys) came out with an album a couple of years ago that was nominated for a grammy for best pop album. I think they did this because the Beach Boys used to be considered pop, as was Bob Dylan at one point in his career. But Dylan has always been an outsider that influences pop music, so to answer the question of whether he's still relevent then, yes. When people are making movies about you with some of the best actors in the world playing you,(Batman and the Joker) then you're still pretty cool.

currently listening 2...


currently listening to...


jazz it up!