Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Cowboys! Romulans! Vampires!.....Lend me your ears!

So, what do cowboys, Romulans, vampires, and nerds have in common? Aside from being Duane’s secret identities, they don’t really have anything in common—I just wanted to talk about all four for a bit:

First of all, does anyone know who Karl Urban is? He’s sort of an up-and-coming star I guess. Most of you would know him from his role as Eomer in LotR. He also played the Russian assassin in the excellent ‘Bourne Supremacy.’ Aside from that he hasn’t been in anything you might consider major, but he’s recently been cast to play Woodrow F. Call in the prequel to ‘Lonesome Dove.’ I’m pretty excited for this since I absolutely love the original TV miniseries and the book. Come to think of it I kind of have an odd fascination with westerns. I think that Robert Duvall, who was in the original ‘Lonesome Dove,’ put it best when explaining why the Western genre is important: "it's ours. It's ours… It's American. The English have Shakespeare, the French have Moliere, the Russians have Chekhov. The Western is ours."

Anyway, Karl Urban has also been cast in another prequel. He’s been offered the role of the top villainous Romulan in the new Star Trek movie. I’ve actually secured one of his lines from the script below. (It’s been reported that he ad-libs quite a bit.)

Top Villainous Romulan: What business does an elf, man, and a dwarf have in the Romulan Star Empire? Speak quickly.

They’re still working on some of the lines…

The new teen vampire sensation, ‘Twilight,’ (and by ‘teen’ I mean every female member of Mormondom) is being made into a movie. I would try and be more excited by this, but my mom has already banned me from reading the books because of all the kissing.

Finally, Demitri Martin has a new show coming to Comedy Central. If you’re a follower of ‘Daily Show,’ you’d probably recognize this guy. He’s a pretty funny nerd.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I apparently have far too much time on my hands at work since I keep commenting on your blog... nevertheless, I have to say that a prequel to Lonesome Dove is definitely something to look forward to. Call it the American Dream or Manifest Destiny or what you will, but I think most of us have a soft spot for the Wild West. Mr. Urban will make a great cowboy - despite his un-American heritage - he has suck an intensity about him. I never did think Eomer got enough screen time. He was also in Chronicals of Riddick, but I'm not even really sure why I brought THAT up. (It had potential which it did not reach.) I am also secretly kind of excited about the new Star Trek movie. I have great faith in JJ Abrams, and with Urban on board along with Zachary Quinto (I am a Heroes fan), I think it has a shot of being something really good. I admit I come from a family of Trekkies. There, I said it. I am especially excited about that piece of dialogue that you uncovered, though it does sound vaguely familiar for some reason... I admit that I have read the Twilight series, but I am a little wary of how the movie will turn out - no doubt I will see it though. When you say "nerds" in your title, I guess I just proved to be one of them.

Unknown said...

Ummm, I am pretty sure that I meant he has SUCH an intensity about him, and that it is spelled CHRONICLES. I'm grounded from blogging.

JedBoy said...

Hayls - Yeah, nice typo. How embarrassing. I've found that it's nice having my own blog where I can edit my posts whenever I want. However, when you leave a comment you can't edit it. Sorry about that.

And, yes, you are a nerd. ;) jk

Unknown said...

I can't deny it. My nerdhood, that is.

Anonymous said...

Amiable fill someone in on and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Thanks you for your information.

currently listening 2...


currently listening to...


jazz it up!