Monday, October 22, 2007

How's that Whole Free Album Thing Going, Radiohead?

Jedboy has already waxed eloquently on this topic, as he is wont to do. Also, as I am wont to do, I'd like to reply to Jed's Radiohead thoughts in typical blogger fashion -- no research, mildly funny, and based purely on what I think is right.

Jed grew up listening Buddy Holly, Richie Valens, and early "rock and roll." (I use quotes because I use the term rock and roll loosely with that era of rock. It rocked for that era, but that also was spoon fed crap like Paul Anka, the Kingston Trio, and alcoholic crooners. That rock was relatively rocking, but not historically rocking.) I grew up listening to actual rock and roll, like Bruce Springsteen, Hendrix, Zeppelin, AC/DC, and Van Halen. I also grafted in some outlaw country like Johnny Cash and Hank Williams, Jr.

Want proof of how hard Hank Williams Jr. rocks? Check this out. Hank Williams basically calls out country music for not allowing him to A) drink whiskey, B) get loud, and C) possibly commit crimes. Over the weekend, I went to Wal Mart and paid $7.53 for Hank Jr's greatest hits. (Somehow, I thought Wal Mart would have it.)

I got out the liner notes, looked through the various photos of Hank -- Hank with beard smiling, Hank with beard smirking, Hank wearing sunglasses wiping gravy off beard -- like a fanboy. I was genuinely excited for my purchase.

Hank Williams Jr. 57,000 Google Images, and not one without sunglasses and beard.

Why was I excited about my purchase? The music is good. How good? About $7.53 good. One of the great things about America and capitalism is the willingness of the consumer to pay for something that is good.

My great-grandparents bought sheet music to play the legendary hits of W.W. Phelps. My grandparents bought whatever those old people bought. My dad bought 8-tracks, records, and now purchases CD's. The kids these days, I am told, use iTune's to download music.

The medium for music will change. What will not change is the willingness of Americans to reward that which we find good with our $$$$$. We have placed value on work exchange. Work exchange means I go to work and get paid, you go to work and get paid, Hank Williams Jr. combs his beard, goes to work, and gets paid. We create products of value, whatever that product is, and, in turn, expect an exchange to occur. In America, we pay for things because our money is the easiest form of showing approval for products.

So, Radiohead may toss out a "free" album. However, didn't Radiohead play some of the "In Rainbows" tracks at some of there live concerts? Concerts that people had been paying for?

No comments:

currently listening 2...


currently listening to...


jazz it up!