Wednesday, October 24, 2007

I'm Just Saying...

Have you ever wondered what a Libertarian is? How about a communitarian (opposite of a Libertarian)? Apparently, Libertarianism is on the rise and if you want to begin to understand this cultural phenomenon you should read this article. Political pundits feel like Libertarians might become very influential in the future political landscape. In fact, you may already be one. Personally, I hate all these labels that we’ve given one another, but if you’re wondering where you stand politically take this small quiz. You might be surprised—then again maybe not.

So, I’m thinking about moving to Beantown right now? It seems like everyone’s finding their groove there: Red Sox in the World Series; the Pats looking like a team that could go undefeated; Boston College making a run at a national championship; the Celtics looking like a playoff contender for the first time in years, er, decades; and even the native Bostonian, Ben Affleck, seems to have mustered some long-dormant critical praise out of his latest directorial debut.

So, I haven’t been watching much TV lately, but I just wanted to recommend ABC’s ‘Pushing Daises.’ I haven’t even watched a full episode—just 10 min. actually—but I kind of took a liking to it. Bolstered with rave reviews, it’s kind of a quirky and witty dramedy that’s akin to a Coen brothers film (i.e., ‘O Brother, Where Art Thou,’ ‘Raising Arizona,’ and ‘The Hudsucker Proxy’). Here’s the link.

Thanks Hayley for supplying a link to the new Star Trek cast compared to their older counterparts. The similarities are uncanny. Check it out.

Finally, I’m sure you’ve all heard by now that J.K. Rowling announced that Dumbledore is gay. Are you really surprised? It seems like most bespectacled British men who wrap themselves in glittery robes are.

5 comments:

Jack of Hearts said...

Arizona and Libertarians go together like bread a butter - which leads me to question the idea that the libertarian movement is gaining ground. The libertarian party was the only one to lose membership in the state according to recent data.

On the other hand, most libertarians are either crazy or completely detached from reality - so it does fit in with the American population.

Alas, any comparative political scientist will tell you that our electoral system (single member, plurality) can only accommodate a two-party system. So if the libertarians, communitarians, communists, or paleoliberalists want to come in, they either have to kill the republicans or democrats, or change the electoral system (Ralph Nader wants the later).

Unknown said...

So here is my gushing opinion of Pushing Daisies. It's a little bit Big Fish, a little bit Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and a lot bit charming and quirky wonderfulness. It is sweet and romantic and funnily morbid and colorful and original and so well acted. Whimsical, that's that it is. I read an article from the creator about how he wanted it to be like a storybook brought to life, and I think they truly accomplish that. Also, the narrator is Jim Dale who marvelously does the Harry Potter books on tape, so that should be enough in itself! If you are interested in checking it out, then you should really start from the beginning – you can watch all of the episodes in order on abc.com. I love it. And true love lasts a lifetime. :)

Wendi said...

I scored "Libertarian", though it makes you wonder a website titled "Advocates for Self-Government"--how could I not get a "Libertarian" score?

I took a similar, but longer quiz not to long ago and was surprised I came out much more conservative and right-wing then my liberal mind thought I would. I blame the wording on that one too. ;)

FYI, here's a rating of the US 2007 Primary Candidates:
http://www.politicalcompass.org/usprimaries2007

Jasmyn said...

I'm a conservative libertarian. Phew--now I can sleep easy tonight. :) Thanks for this quiz, Jed.

It was nice to see you last night too--sorry if Kirst and I were too loud while laughing hysterically everytime Christine did something evidencing her complete lack of spine. (Quite literally) That organ/organist was absolutely amazing though. Maybe someday I can attain that level of coolness and get to play a purple organ with all the talent of Bach himself. One can only hope.

JedBoy said...

duane - Yes! I, too, am a big advocate for third parties. I would like to see the Whig party come back into power, for instance.

hayls - hmm...that sounds like a good idea and "thanks for the fish!"

wendi - wow. that's pretty amazing to see how conservative our presidential candidates really are in the world. i think if the french had won the french and indian war then that wouldn't be the case today.

jasmyn - first of all, thanks for the comment. second of all, i could totally see you as an organist for silent films in the future on PEI. ;)

currently listening 2...


currently listening to...


jazz it up!