Friday, April 27, 2007

REBUTTAL: Why I Still Buy CD's

By way of introduction, Jed has asked that I, Aaron, contribute some literary deliciousness to JedBoy.

You may remember me from such comments as "Oliver Stone should direct the upcoming version of The Hobbit" and "except for a few of my holdout friends (Aaron) ...."

I am that Aaron -- He Who Still Dares to Buy CD's.
I would like to explain why I still buy CD's.

Because they are real, tangible items. I can't plug my iPod into my awesome car stereo, because my tape deck once got jammed with an old Van Halen tape. (Does Van Halen show up on iTunes? If so, I might consider iTunes.)
So I can't use a tape adapter on my car stereo. I don't want to buy the gizmo that connects my iPod to my home stereo. I dont' want to buy the iPod specific home stereo. I don't want iTunes, mostly because I know that I would blow about $150 a month on songs that I liked at the time an bought on an impulse ... but then later regretted that purchase. Much like the time I ordered two Big Mac's -- sounded good at the time, but I was laden with an heavy burden for the rest of the week.

I think the effort of buying the CD makes you really think "Do I really like this music?" If you get in your car, drive to your local music shoppe, and make the effort to talk to the music nerd behind the counter, you show your commitment to the band and the music you like.

So, in answer to the question "Do Americans have bad taste?" that Jed asked in the last post, I say no. Because America is awesome ................

........................ of thee I sing!

3 comments:

JedBoy said...

First of all, thanks Aaron for rising to the challenge of writing a post on such a distinguished blog—not an easy task. I think you’re right about Van Halen; it should only be listened to on tape. I would also like to say that I probably save money by downloading. Instead of spending 15 bones on a CD that I’ve barely heard, I spend $.99 on one song. Lastly, America is awesome, I completely agree!!!

Anonymous said...

Speaking as a teenager who is completely submersed in the iPod generation, I LOVE the conveinience of the iPod and iTunes. Although, I do understand where CDs have their merit. But having the ability to listen to exactly what I want, when I want to (compliments of iTunes) most definitely has it's merit. I do completely agree with the idea that going out and buying an artist's CD is a sign of respect. So if I have an artist that absolutely love, and know that I will not regret buying their whole CD, I will do so. iTunes is a way to get those individual songs that you like, without wasting your money on buying the whole CD. So in my generation's defense I think that there is a happy medium. That both CDs and iTunes are good for their own specific purposes-and to take care of all your audio needs-both are a definite benefit!

Wendi said...

I didn't think anything could be said to convince me of the CD-buying merits, especially considering an iPod auto adapter is currently in the mail to throughly connect my iPod to my audio world -- home, mobile, and now auto, but the argument was quite convincing. Well done.

It made me pause. That is until I popped in a burned CD with all my 99 cent iTunes purchases. Ninety-nine cents to buy exactly what I want with no unwanted B-tracks. Purely the American way. Instant gratification. America is Awesome!

currently listening 2...


currently listening to...


jazz it up!